Why you should update your Windows 10 immediately
Microsoft is terminating support for certain Windows 10 versions. Users should update their system immediately. We show how it works.
Windows 10 users should check the current version of their operating system. Because Microsoft has discontinued support for certain earlier versions of Windows 10.
As a result affected systems will no longer receive security updates, which makes them vulnerable to potential security threats. Affected is version 1709 of Windows 10 Home, Pro, Pro for Workstation. In addition, support for version 1607 in the Enterprise, Education, and IoT Enterprise versions also ended.
How do I check which Windows 10 version I have?
To simply check your Windows version, proceed as follows:
- Press the "Windows" and "I" keyboard keys simultaneously to open the settings menu. Alternatively, you can click Start and choose the gear icon on the left.
- Select "System" in the settings.
- Scroll down the left panel and click on "Info".
- Here you can find information about your current system. Scroll down until you see "Windows specifications". Here you can see your current version number of your Windows.
To start the update manually
If your Windows version is out of date, you should upgrade to the latest version. If this does not happen automatically, you can also start the update manually. It works like this:
- Press the "Windows" and "I" keyboard keys simultaneously to open the settings. Alternatively, you can click Start and choose the gear icon on the left.
- Click "Updates and Security."
- In the "Windows Update" tab, select "Check for updates". When updates are available, they are usually automatically downloaded and installed.